Monday 10 September 2018

Twists and Turns


I walked a labyrinth today, quite a different thing from learning about their history and purpose which I won’t elaborate on here, for the learning really comes from entering into the experience.

With the directive of approaching the labyrinth contemplating what we would like to let go of as we walked the inward path, then what we would like to take with us as we retraced our steps on the outward path, one by one our group walked through the gate on our own individual journey.

My brain felt quite vacant and my heart not really engaged with the process as I headed in. I’m used to going for walks in the bush, feeling wrapped inside a living breathing organism, simply being at one with nature, unearthing hidden delights behind rocks and trees as my eyes change focus from the bigness of it all, to the smallest intricate details.

But despite the labyrinth being a tall hedge construction, this was a different experience entirely. The path was narrow, with just enough room to walk without brushing both sides. It was one continuous hedge, with dirt, grass and strips of bark and twigs underfoot, enclosing, nothing to distract me or cause me to go investigating. At some points though the path widened and the hedge was somewhat sparse, so my footsteps quickened and I could see where I’d come from as well as see through to where I thought I was heading.

But the path continued, twisting and turning and looping back on itself, and I wondered how in such a small area it could take so long to get to the middle. I saw a glimpse of the innermost spot through a gap in the hedge, only a couple of metres away, but still the path wove its way this way and that, causing me to bide my time with my thoughts instead of wondering what I would do when I arrived.

What was I hanging on to that needed to be let go? Was I open to the inward journey? Was I even able to let go of my own scrambled thoughts and listen as I walked, instead of trying to order them all myself? Wanting to be authentic in the moment and not see it simply as an interesting activity, I found it challenging, not an easy process, and one I’m still pondering.

I returned to the labyrinth later in the day to take a few photos and discovered an intriguing phenomenon. As the sun’s warmth faded I ducked through some of the gaps in the hedge to save time, so I could view the path from different angles. However, as I then proceeded along the path I became totally disorientated, not knowing whether I was heading inward or outward, and no amount of repeating the process brought me to where I thought I should be. It was obvious there were no shortcuts, you simply had to start at the beginning, follow the designated path to the labyrinth’s heart, then retrace your steps through to the end.

The end brings you back to the starting point, but somehow you’re not quite the same as when you began. On an intellectual level, I could see how different parts of this mini pilgrimage could be applied to life’s journey as a whole. How looking back to what is past can bring understanding, how seeing possible paths forward can provide impetus, but also how some of those paths don’t necessarily end up where we anticipate. How feeling encompassed by the darkness of circumstances can on the one hand be overwhelming, but at the same time provide opportunity to stop and reach out for help instead of relying on our own depleted resources.

On an emotional and spiritual level though, it’s obvious to me I still have more work to do before the pathway walked today can weave its way to my own heart, before the winding and unwinding can find a place to settle.





Move to the centre
slowly, one step at a time
the inward journey

Take time to reflect
humbly, gently, reverently
then move out again


No comments:

Post a Comment