Monday 1 January 2018

New Year's Day

With much umming and aahing over the past month since finishing The Haiku Project, a year-long poetry/photo journal, crunch time had arrived. If I was going to do an online Haiku Diary, today was the deadline, so, whether I’ve made the right decision or not, the deed is done and the commitment made.

After wandering in the wilderness of writer’s block during much of 2016, something had to change, so to face what a writer needs to do, the decision was made late in that year to not only write something every day, but to complete something every day.

What better way than revisiting a form of poetry I hadn’t touched in more than forty years. Surely I could come up with three lines a day. All I knew at the start was the 5-7-5 syllabic format, then discovered half way through the year the 3-5-3 format, and more recently my reading of other publications has revealed a much freer, unstructured form which I’ll explore during the year.

Haiku traditionally focuses on Nature, but I tend to take an incident, observation, memory, thought or experience from the day and attempt to capture it, to get to its essence. Drawing on some of my haiku from the past year, as well as others yet to be created, welcome to my little world of little poems.  


What does this year hold?
will it be spectacular
or ordinary?

2 comments:

  1. Can the future be ordinary?
    impossibility be
    never before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like something Yoda would say, thanks for your response.

      Delete