Sunday 18 February 2018

Sunrise....Sunset

Fiddler on the Roof has long been one of my favourite musicals, even had the good fortune to see it live many moons ago in the theatre, and the movie version tends to be selected off the shelf some cold winter night when it’s more in keeping with the Russian weather.

As each of his daughters find themselves in relationships and begin to move away from the influence of the family home, the long-suffering Tevye bemoans the passage of time. Days and years pass, seasons follow their natural cycle, and suddenly his little girls are grown women who he almost doesn’t recognise.

Tonight’s brilliant sunset highlighted the fact another day was swiftly coming to a close, and that I have already lived more days than I have left. Have I filled them with what I really wanted to do? I’ve probably frittered away more days than I dare admit doing inconsequential things of no importance whatsoever. But I guess a lot of life is like that. After all, the housework does need to get done, as does the grocery shopping, the lawn mowing, taking out the garbage, and any other mindless task you might want to add to the list.

None of us want to live a treadmill existence, where the future appears inevitable and predictable and where we feel powerless to intervene. So in the midst of the mundane, where do we find time to take stock and work out whether the direction in which we’re heading is where we want to go? Do we even give ourselves permission to do that?

If not, we should.








Sunrise, potential
clean slate, a new day full of
possibilities









Sunset, reflection
the day’s opportunities
seen, taken, or missed



2 comments:

  1. perhaps you should start a photography blog too - amazing photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just imagine what I might be able to do if I learned to use a 'real' camera! My little digital has done me well.

      Delete