Tuesday 23 October 2018

Nature's Carnage #2




When I came across this little beauty it took me a while to work out the manner of his demise. In pristine condition, apart from being dead that is, it was the first time I’d managed to get close enough to one of the local species of parrots to really appreciate their colouring. Coming from the mainland where red parrots abound, the local variety being predominantly green looked somewhat lacklustre by comparison. But up close, as is evident, this Tassie species is anything but bland and ordinary.

After scratching my head and pondering how he met his death, I looked up and found my answer. Not another winged creature, but the towering menace of the giant power pylons. He obviously hadn’t read the warning sign and in one split second had been zapped out of existence by landing or brushing against something he shouldn’t have been anywhere near. Those power lines pack enough punch to penetrate a rhino hide, so our little feathered friend had no hope.
 
Unseen enemy
death came swiftly, cunningly 
body not yet cold




No comments:

Post a Comment