Thursday 18 October 2018

Money Laundering


Before I did the company banking last week, I off-handedly informed the guys in the office I’d had to do some money laundering, and the look I received was well worth the throwaway line. After all, I am the one responsible for the handling of all receipts to be deposited for the various enterprises in the village. In that moment of blank looks and pregnant silence I wondered if they were thinking I’d suddenly gone mad and they’d have to either call the police or men in white coats, or banish me from the building, confiscate all my keys and conduct an internal inquiry with appropriate disciplinary action. I let them digest that thought for a few seconds before assuring them my money laundering was of the literal kind.

For the last twenty years our village motel has had coin operated washers and dryers in the laundry, so in order to distinguish between the coins the motel uses and those the guests use, the motel’s had a black X on each side. The guy from the company which owned the machines would empty them out, count what was this and what was that, and send us a bill.

Fast forward to the present, X-marked coins no longer needed so they were destined for the bank. I somehow got the feeling the bank wouldn’t appreciate $500 worth of one and two dollar defaced coins, so thought I’d do the right thing and bring them back to bankable condition. First, dump the lot in a bowl of metho, then toss in colander after scrubbing each individual coin to remove all the Xs, sit colander in bowl of hot soapy water to get rid of metho smell, rinse well, then lay out to dry. All of which took nearly two hours mind you, along with blackened nails and deadened fingertips.

Back in Al Capone’s day, the Mafia funnelled all manner of illegal proceeds through legitimate Laundromat businesses, hence the money laundering term, but for most of us, doing the laundry has never been connected with anything suspect or underhanded. It’s simply washing, rinsing and drying, plus the one bonus of this little episode was it didn’t involve any folding or ironing.

Glad I went to the trouble. The bank teller was very thankful, and quite impressed with my bags of shiny coins.


Money laundering
reclaiming dirty money
for good intentions


No comments:

Post a Comment