Monday 1 October 2018

The Downside of Spring


Despite the appearance of blossom and signs of new growth, things haven’t really warmed up that much down here in Tassie. I’m still in the woolly jumper and long socks, but the temperature has risen just enough to mark one aspect of the arrival of Spring I dislike. For the second night in a row there is no fire burning, and in one fell swoop the lounge room is bereft of its usual cheeriness. No doubt there will be a few more chilly evenings yet when I can stoke it up again, I can live in hope, but at this point I have to be content with my ‘blankie’ if it cools off too much.

So with one job dispensed with, namely stacking, chopping and fetching the firewood, another takes its place. Mowing…..mowing….and even more mowing. My yard has had its first haircut for the season, but due to the extraordinary amount of rain we had this winter it’s more than likely the grass will grow at such a rate of knots once some real warmth gets into the soil, we’ll all become slaves to the lawnmower trying to keep it under control.

Oh yeah, then there’s the weeds popping up everywhere, don’t get me started on that subject.

Roll on Autumn is all I can say.


Springtime growth
blossom and weeds go
hand in hand


No comments:

Post a Comment