Sunday 1 July 2018

Half Way


Half way there
only one eighty three
more to go


I’ve reached the halfway mark. I wonder whether that means I’m still only halfway up the mountain, or if I’ve reached the top and it’s all downhill from here on. Not in terms of quality I hope, but no matter how many I do, my three-line snippets have a habit of not necessarily coming together any easier with the passage of time. 

I missed writing a poem on only two days in the first six months, have had moments when I wondered why on earth I made such a commitment in the first place, I mean it’s not like anything earth shattering would happen if I simply stopped. But there’s the thing, I can’t. I’m a prime procrastinator in some areas of my life, but a completer/finisher in others, and this is one I know I won’t be able to let go of until that final entry on December 31st.

However insignificant, I pick up the pen and make my little pea brain tick over until something from my day comes to the fore. Be it something I’ve seen, heard, done, or reflected on, writing it down causes me to pay attention during the day, to be aware of what is happening around me, physically, emotionally, socially and relationally.

I have countless projects which have never even made it to halfway, let alone any further. They sit in dog-eared files, seemingly good ideas that started with a bang and fizzled out through the lack of all manner of determining factors. I’m not the most conscientious when it comes to self-discipline, and self-doubt is always there lurking over my right shoulder ready to pounce at the slightest provocation.

So, with six months down and six more to go, who knows what might arise each and every day to cause me to pick up that pen.




No comments:

Post a Comment