Saturday 7 July 2018

Reading Matter


There is simply no question in my mind of walking past a second-hand book store without going in. The temptation is too strong, and one I have no qualms about giving in to. My walls are lined with countless gems by a myriad of authors some of whom I’ve never heard of, simply because I took the time to shut the world out for an hour or two and indulge in one of my favourite pastimes.

Running my fingers along the spines on the shelves, scanning the titles for something that begs to be chosen, I pick one at random, read the first few pages, and if the author is good I immediately enter another world brought to life in the wee small hours by someone’s imaginings and skill in weaving a plot and characters together so we might be swept away and believe.

I’d love to be able to do that, create not just a story, but a world in which the reader is drawn in, one where they feel they have a stake in the outcome. Meantime, I curl up on the couch, content to escape to the worlds created by others and journey along with their characters.

Looking back on my winter reading pile of ten books from last year, I noticed there is one book still unread. Many others have been bought and read since then, so The Blue Eyed Boy by Joanne Harris is still one to look forward to. This year’s winter reading pile may take until midway through Spring to get through, but Marcus Zusak’s The Book Thief is first on the list. Having seen the movie several years ago, I wondered about buying the book as I don’t like to compare them while reading, but with a price tag of only five dollars the hesitation was very brief.

My bookmark states The Book is always Better so I don’t believe I’ll be disappointed.


Retreat, add some heat
winter reading organised
hibernation time

No comments:

Post a Comment