Saturday 10 February 2018

Midnight Marauders

Treated myself to a selection of new plants a week ago, didn’t get around to planting them out so they’ve been sitting in the laundry trough, getting a little sprinkle each day to keep them going. Finally took them outside yesterday, planted a few, left the rest in the barrow, and promptly forgot to protect them. Evidence of interference was noticeable as I stood at the kitchen sink this morning. The parsley seedlings which had been shooting up at a great rate of knots were unceremoniously chomped right down to their stalks and the whole punnet dumped on the ground, the gazanias which had already started to flower had not been stripped completely, but it’s obvious as soon as they go in the ground they’re going to be finished off.

I’m not averse to sharing my backyard with the local wildlife, and over the years I’ve managed to learn what is safe to plant and what’s not. The gazanias were a hope that seeing as I haven’t had any growing for several years the pademelons and wallabies might have acquired a taste for something else, but obviously it was a vain misguided hope.

The parsley was destined for a pot near the back door so I could snip it at my leisure while cooking, so that’s not going to work either. At least they’re retrievable so will have to try pots above ground in the shade house. Here’s hoping possums don’t also have parsley on their list of culinary must haves.

Fortunately, the vast majority survived the midnight raid, so by and large, my plant selection must be on the right track. All I have to do now is get them in the ground before the night time marauders return with their mates for a second tasting.

 



Midnight snack
culinary delights
ripe for the picking


No comments:

Post a Comment