Thursday 1 February 2018

Time Ticking

First month of the year
already done and dusted
tick tock tick tock tick


Is it just me that groans, or is there something wrong with retailers who simply don’t seem to be able to let one thing settle before the onslaught of the next. I went to the supermarket a few days ago, and already one whole section of the store has been taken over by Easter eggs. I’ve barely drawn breath since Christmas, and Easter is eight weeks away, so do we really need that much time to make up our minds what we’re going to buy the kids and indulge in ourselves? The stores obviously have a lead in time on their calendars for whatever season or event is coming up to maximise their sales, but for the humble shopper it can often feel like overkill.

It’s like having to watch the constant barrage of promos for My Kitchen Rules months before the actual program starts, by which time you’re heartily sick of the whole thing and are more than happy to bypass it when it arrives.

Now Valentine’s Day, that’s only two weeks away, and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised to not see any of that regalia adorning the shelves. Then again, that’s probably because I was in the supermarket. If I’d been in the heart of town and wandered past the right sort of shops I’m sure I’d see the usual chocolates and soft toys and cheeky underwear displayed with all the hearts and paraphernalia associated with them.

I’m beginning to sound like a grumpy old woman I know, something I definitely am not. I like chocolate just as much as the next person, and enjoy buying gifts for those I love, but I think I’ve come to a place where I can manage to do those things quite capably without the urging or influence or pressure of retailers who want you to think you can’t possibly be happy unless you have this or that or the other thing to make life easier, or fill the gap in your life you didn’t know you had until they told you about it.

Anyway, that’s my little grump for this month.




No comments:

Post a Comment