Friday 9 February 2018

Morning Maggies

There are plenty of species of birds where I live, even though I’m not that expert at identifying them either by sight or sound. There are your everyday sparrows and blackbirds, bouncing blue wrens, parrots coloured very differently from those on the mainland, currawongs and crows by the fistful, but it’s the magpies I love to hear as I stir in bed in the morning. They don’t twitter or caw, squawk or cackle. They simply have this delightful chortle to greet the day, and as I navigate the space along with them between wanting to stay curled up in the nest and preparing for the day ahead, their distinctive morning song invites you to share their joy in the dawning of a new day.

First magpie warble
at 5.56am
morning wake-up call

No comments:

Post a Comment