Thursday 22 March 2018

Farewell Summer


It wasn’t until this morning that I realised the Autumn equinox had occurred yesterday, so I didn’t feel so bad about lighting my fire last night. Usually you can manage to get through a fair bit of April before the first lighting of the season, somewhere around Easter or even Anzac Day if the weather holds, but yesterday was rather gloomy and I just could not get warm, so around dinner time I relented and stoked up the fire and felt much better for it.

And now that the fire has had its 2018 initiation, it’s going to be hard not to continue the nightly ritual. Unless we get a last burst of warm weather as is common this time of year, the fire is back to stay for another six months. Not only warming the body, the dancing flames lull me into a relaxed meditative state. I lean back in my recliner or curl up on the couch and feel the tension leave my body, then reach for a crossword or a book, watch a little TV, have a cuppa and some munchies. Chilling out with a fire is so much more enjoyable than without one.


Autumn equinox
stealthily the cold slips in
stoke up the fire


No comments:

Post a Comment