Tuesday 20 March 2018

Counting the Days, Weeks, Months and Years


I have difficulty throwing away calendars, and there have been several favourites over the years. Gary Larson’s The Far Side with its quirky humour, Peanuts never failed to amuse and I still have selections from my 1989 calendar on my wall at work. I have the good fortune of receiving the Bureau of Meteorology Weather Calendar each year as I enter the rain gauge readings for Poatina each day, which has stunning photos focused on weather events, so that’s on my wall at work as well.

Top of the list though would have to be my collection of Leunig calendars, they will never be ditched, and as the mood takes me, an illustration with Michael Leunig’s special brand of insight will find itself on the wall in my study. They are constant reminders of the ambiguities of life, trying to make sense of finding our place as individuals while living in the context of a family, a workplace, a community, a country and the world as a whole.

I’m really enjoying my 2018 page-a-day gallery calendar of Italy, 365 reasons to head to Europe to soak up the history, and am determined to keep it long enough so when it fits whatever year in the future that matches it, I’ll be able to get it out and enjoy it all over again.

We are treated to the very best in natural photography from right around the world. Framed photos we see in markets and galleries that most of us could never afford are there at our fingertips. Each month holds a new surprise, courtesy of some dedicated photographer who may have camped out for days and waited longingly for the light to be just right to capture that all important image. As the years pass my collection of calendars or favourite pictures selected from others keeps growing.

In the back of my mind I see framed pictures adorning my walls, but for some reason the collection grows and never makes it any further than the pile. I sift through them occasionally, maybe toss a few away, remind myself to do something with them, then tuck them away again.

Maybe one day.



Step into the scene
the calendar on the wall
go time travelling

No comments:

Post a Comment