Monday 26 March 2018

Into the Dragon's Den


For the second time in five years, I’ve managed to unintentionally trap a fire breathing dragon in my fireplace. Not quite sure what the attraction is with my place, whether it’s the perfect amount of space in which a miniature dragon can safely do his thing, or maybe he lost his way and flew down the flue in search of a warm spot out of the rip-roaring wind, and was attempting to force his way out to regain his freedom.

Today's Dragon
Had he come for a reason, bringing a message or settling a score from medieval times or the Dark Ages? Why arrive out of the blue on a chilly autumn afternoon? Maybe he just wanted to confirm that creatures of his ilk, though rare, and contrary to our disbelief, are still known to appear to us mere mortals when we need a little reminder that the world we so easily take for granted abounds with unfathomable mysteries and undiscovered wonders.

The fairy circles in my garden tell me the fairy folk have visited, and I leave them undisturbed on their short annual holiday, waiting to see if my garden is favourable enough for them to return. Last two years have been successful, but I’m unsure how to advertise. I guess it’s word of mouth, their communication systems are somewhat different from ours, no internet.

2013 Dragon
I’m more than happy to host these strange creatures from mythical worlds which drop in when least expected. What a treat to be chosen for such a visitation on an ordinary work day when the world, as marvellous as it is, can still surprise us in the most unexpected ways.

Yet to see my first unicorn though.





Fire breathing dragon
trapped in the fireplace
dare I let him out?

No comments:

Post a Comment