Sunday 21 January 2018

Weeding things out

There are some who think I’m a little strange, but I quite like weeding the garden, always have. It probably has something to do with my desire to create order out of chaos no matter what the task. I’m not precious about it, it doesn’t have to be perfect, but when things start to get a bit straggly and are begging for attention, pulling a few weeds every few days and pruning a branch here and there rather than letting it build up to an insurmountable chore seems to me the easier route in the end. Facing the job is the hardest part, but once you start, a kind of rhythm sets in and you find the resulting satisfaction well worth the effort. The reward is immediate, which is what I like, so it would be good if I could attend to the not so visible areas of my life in much the same way, caring for those internal things that tend to plummet to the bottom of the list of priorities. It’s all very well to work on what is visible to everyone else, but there may be more important things than the garden which require regular weeding, pruning, and nourishing.







Garden bed awaits
weeding is therapeutic
says one who weeds not


No comments:

Post a Comment