Friday 21 December 2018

Baa...where's my coat?


Pure white sheep
in the teeming rain
freshly shorn

When I drove to town yesterday I glanced across at the paddock and thought the farmer had square bales of hay on the ground, well, rectangular ones, you know what I mean. I thought it was a little strange as most hay is now in giant round bales, some of which are wrapped up in pretty coloured protective coats to prolong their life. However, a second look made me realise they were actually sheep, all of which were contentedly lying down, motionless, and rather grubby looking sheep at that, hence my mistake first time around.

Coming home today from town the same paddock was a vast contrast. Through the pouring rain and the wipers going flat chat, I spotted bright white blobs on legs wandering aimlessly, probably bemoaning the fact that today had been their scheduled appointment with the shearer. They would’ve enjoyed it yesterday, being relieved of their woolly layer when the weather was starting to feel almost tropical, but not today. Looking naked and decidedly vulnerable in the miserable weather, I hoped that at least one of them might have the sense to lead them to a big tree under which to shelter.



No comments:

Post a Comment