Monday 19 November 2018

Demise of an Old Favourite


Old check shirt
reduced to shreds
well worn, worn no more


My shirt disintegrated this morning. I shouldn’t complain, it’s done fifteen years of faithful service, but as I hung out the washing a strange feeling across my back indicated something was amiss. There was no loud ripping sound, just a quiet pulling apart of well-worn fibres which must have seen several hundred washes in their time.

Some clothes are easy to farewell, but I recalled where I was when I purchased it, and why. Travelling around Melbourne to catch up with family and friends a month after my husband’s funeral, my Mum died unexpectedly. Not having packed for an occasion of any sort of formality, the necessary shopping trip produced a blue and white check cotton shirt, which has long been my go-to staple to wear with jeans either on its own or over a dark blue or white tee shirt.

It was nothing fancy, far from it, but its tattered state meant it was beyond repair. I tend to hang on to clothes, and wear them, well after their use-by date in the fashion stakes, even those picked up in op shops receiving a second or maybe third lease of life, so for me, throwing something away means it has definitely reached the end of the road. Even so, it felt somewhat like a sacrilege opening up the bin as I brought the memory to mind, so I made one final gesture.

I snipped off its buttons to package and re-sell in the op shop.



No comments:

Post a Comment