Sunday 12 August 2018

Marina's Musings


To make up for missing Aug 10, thought I’d include a couple of Marina Scott’s poems she sent to me this week with permission to use them on the blog should I so wish. Even though I’d dabbled in haiku writing several decades ago, in late 2016 it was Marina who once more sparked my interest. An accomplished poet in her own right, many of her poems have appeared in publications both in Australia and overseas, and I have much admiration for her skill in capturing a moment in time with so few words.

The following are two senryu (pron. sen-re-you), following the same structure as haiku, but whereas haiku focuses on nature, the subject matter of senryu deals more with the human condition, and though there are no hard and fast rules, they tend to be humorous or cynical.


his wide smile
after winter rains
the plumber



vintage store
her redundant male
drags his feet


I love the immediate mental pictures Marina creates, and they bring a smile to my face.


No comments:

Post a Comment