Thursday 21 June 2018

Winter Solstice


For the purists among us, and I’m not really phased either way, today marks the real beginning of winter, even though we’re officially three weeks into the season already. Whichever the case, I had to drag myself out of bed this morning on the year’s shortest day. Maybe I was trying to make it even shorter than usual, having a bit of an aversion at the moment to hours spent paper shuffling, number crunching and computer staring.

Was a bit disconcerted when I first put up the blinds though, did a bit of a double take as I quickly checked whether the house next door was on fire. Thankfully, it was not; what was happening just at that precise moment was an extremely speedy entrance of fog being swept in from the valley below, billowing in thick whirls across the yard, looking every bit like smoke.

What I looked forward to most all day was coming home, lighting the fire and settling into my cosy armchair with a coffee and nibbles, ready to enjoy the warmth and peaceful quiet of my little haven. While going in and out fetching firewood I pause to look up, revelling in the clear skies we are blessed with being far from city lights.

Venus still shines brightly in the west as half the moon lights up a clear night sky. Mercury has set, Mars will soon rise, and Jupiter is plainly visible overhead. While our little blue planet revolves and rotates in the vastness of space, the merry dance in the heavens remains as always a source of much delight and fascination.



Winter solstice
an ending and beginning
as seasons roll on



No comments:

Post a Comment